2010



For once the idea for the 2010 card wasn't a last-minute rabbit pulled out of our hat. It was hatched while shooting the 2009 card. Also for once, it didn't come from either of us. It was the brainchild of Debra Heiser, the CSI cop holding the hair dryer in the Frosty card who is also married to Wes, the photographer that year. She said, "You guys ought to do a police line-up with the kids and Santa."

Holly and I kind of winced when she came up with it, because A) we knew it was a great idea, and B) we couldn't take credit for it ourselves.

Still, we could never get away from it, so we said, "To heck with it...let's do it."

Scott Robertson shot this one, and is probably sorry he did now. He, and two of his merry men, Brad & Dan, spent hours upon hours on the computer building a composite of four shots from our made-up set. We had to build our own line-up because we found out that those police line-up rooms haven't really existed in years. We had asked three different friends of ours, a detective, a public defender an an assistant DA, for help in getting one of those rooms. The answer came back the same every time ("We pretty much use photos and computers these days...I don't know if we still even have one in Las Vegas.").

Once again Bill Verrill was our Santa Claus and my old partner David Squier filled in as the detective.

4 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed your cards from day one. So glad you did this. I enjoyed seeing them all again and reading the history behind them. And here I thought you just did these spontaneously with a Kodak camera! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, thank you for your card & wow, what creativity you both have. Very enjoyable & my family loved your blog. Greetings from Southern CA, take care, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God, you are a fellow Christmas card lunatic! How nice to meet you. I have a website devoted to people like you called, http://hohumcards.com. I would love to do a posting featuring your cards, but only with your blessing of course. Please say yes! Your cards are some of the most creative I've seen out there, and I've seen a lot of creative cards between doing a book and a website on the subject. Come check it out and get back to me.
    I love every single one of your sick and twisted cards...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kenny--This is Ellen Dobie, Chuck Dobie's offspring. I just have to tell you that your Christmas cards are the highlight of my holiday season (besides my Dad's gumbo and the obligatory read aloud of the Cajun night before Christmas.) I had a laugh and a half browsing through this blog--well done! Please give your two adorable kids big hugs from me, and tell Holly I say hello.

    ReplyDelete