1997


After that very first card from 1991 (still and always my sentimental favorite) this one may be at the top of my list. I remember seeing a photo on a Michelle Shocked album where she was getting arrested and roughed up a bit by the police. I loved the frozen action and raw truth of that shot. Our friend Wes Isbutt captured that same feel perfectly here, I think.

I went up to the Mt. Charleston ranger station to recruit someone to play the part of the ranger. I took all the previous Christmas cards up to show them the twisted tradition of the cards. This Nevada Division of Forestry ranger (whose name I’ve unfortunately forgotten) said he’d be glad to help. So much help, in fact, that he actually pilfered this sign we used in the picture from the U.S. Department of Forestry. What a guy!

Wes shot 3 rolls (108 pictures) that day. In 107 of them, either Debi or the ranger was laughing his/her head off. This was the only usable one. But what a great one!

Favorite Caption:
+ (None come to mind. Besides, what could you write that would add to this picture?)

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more with your assessment regarding a caption.... I've been schooled that one does not paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa....

    ReplyDelete